What income assistance can I receive for my workplace injury?

On Behalf of | May 6, 2022 | Wrongful Death

If you receive an injury on the job, you may feel helpless to provide for yourself and your family. However, Massachusetts and the Federal Government provide you with legal protections that help you get through medical incapacitation.

According to Mass.gov, if you receive an injury that puts you out of work for five partial or complete calendar days, you may file for workers’ compensation benefits. Remember, these days do not need to be consecutive, and you have four years from the date of your injury to file a claim. See below for some of the workers’ compensation packages available to Massachusetts workers.

Permanent benefits

Permanent and total incapacity benefits apply to any laborers who cannot do any work because of an injury or illness they received on the job. You can apply for permanent benefits even if you currently receive temporary benefits. The payments include 66 percent of your gross weekly average but cannot be less than 20 percent of the state average weekly wage (SAWW).

Temporary benefits

Temporary total incapacity benefits are for workers who cannot work for at least six full or partial days. You may receive 60 percent of your gross weekly wage, but you cannot receive more than the SAWW.

Temporary partial benefits

Temporary partial incapacity benefits are for workers who can still work but earn less because of an injury. The maximum you may acquire for this is 75 percent of temporary total incapacity benefits.

Besides the benefits listed above, there is more to know about the resources available for disabled and incapacitated workers. Take some time to understand your rights, and do not allow your workplace to take advantage of you.